The Analysis and Simulation Centre for Air Operations (CASPOA) was accredited NATO Centre of Excellence in 2008.
Out of the 19 NATO Centres of the kind, the CASPOA is the only NATO Centre of Excellence in France and the only one to provide an expertise in the field of Air Command and Control (Air C2).
As an entity of the Air Defence and Air Operations Command (CDAOA) the CASPOA main mission is to prepare military personnel to the command and control of air operations, relying to do so, on the operational analysis.
CASPOA, as NATO CoE, builds on its specific expertise in air operations and in combined and joint environments to :
- support NATO's standardization and interoperability efforts by providing education and training to staff elements that plan and conduct air operations at the operational and tactical levels,
- provide NATO Nations with an education and training service according to their specific requirements in order to meet NATO's objectives,
- contribute to the development, testing and validation of new game and simulation capabilities,
- explore concepts and experiment on new supporting technologies related to air operations in close relationship with the JAPCC,
- collect and analyse lessons from operations, as well as from training events, in the area of air C2 in order to enhance NATO concepts, doctrine and procedures (with JALLC and JAPCC),
- federate relevant subject matter experts and contribute to establishing the NATO knowledge base in the air C2 area.